Wednesday, December 18, 2013

whats the big deal over the controversy over duck dynasty

First off this isn't book related its just something that hit my nerve.

I cant say I am a huge fan of the show but thanks to my kids I have watched every episode they have. and Phil was one of my fav people on the show. now everyone's throwing a big hoopla over a few comments he made in a magazine about homosexuals. I can understand why some people might be offended but why make a big deal out of his views.  I have heard it called hate speech, bigotry, and many other things but I don't see it. Phil is a down home Christian, with traditional Christian values and while its obvious he doesn't agree with the homosexual lifestyle it doesn't mean he is a bigot. If the man was asked if he thought sleeping before marriage was a sin I am sure he would say it was. does that mean he should be put under such strain for the comment. its his religious views and as a soldier wither I agree with him or not I support his right to believe that way.

I just don't get all the political correctness these days. you have to tiptoe around your own beliefs so not to offend others.  its impossible to have a group of more than five people and for them not to agree on something so why make a big deal out of it. Everyone is entitled to their own lives and to however they want to lead them, but they are also entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. I am a firm believer in god myself but I have never pushed those views on others but if I was asked a direct question along those lines I would answer honestly just as Phil Robertson did. If you really need someone to blame, then go after the interviewer who asked such a touchy question in the first place. Honestly if you watched the show you could almost guess what his views on the subject would have been.

I would just like to ask one more question before I end my rant. "What is the point of having free speech and freedom of religion if we as a people oppose it so fervently denounce it when someone says something we don't agree with?"

4 comments:

  1. Honestly it was a poorly thought out remark. It wouldn't have been blown so out of proportion if he hadn't put gays on the same level as bestiality, even if thats not what he intended.

    Would've definitely been smarter to "no comment" that. Whatever, props for speaking his mind anyway without minding political correctness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he might have worded it different but I think the GQ interviewer got what he wanted, a story to make his name. what the man said might not have been the best idea in the world but taking off the show will cut A&E throat. it was a knee jerk reaction that will cost them millions in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, DW, but no matter how you slice it, what he said was bigoted and offensive. Avoiding attacking somebody's identity or offending somebody unnecessarily is not about political correctness, it's just good manners. Somebody may have the right to express controversial, bigoted, or offensive opinions, but the cable channel that employs that person also has the right to refuse to be associated with those opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just don't see it that way. I see it as a reporter tying to make his mark. there are a few questions no matter the answer will cause controversy. any person with half a brain would have knew the mans stance before asking and while it might be offensive he said it in a causal chat (yes to a reporter) but it was not as if he stood in central square yelling it. Believing that same sex relationships are immoral should not be considered bigoted as it is a religious and or moral belief and those are allowed to each person as long as he doesn't advocate harm to the other party I just don't see why people were making a big deal out of it. It was ruled in a court of law a man could not be fired for being gay, then why should a man be fired for believing being gay is a sin. if this had been a man who had said god was a fiction character on par with people the Mayans believing human scarifies helped with crop growth there would not have been a fraction of the commotion.

    ReplyDelete